Doubly Awesome Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Amy Mickelson
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos
To view PDF files, you will need Adobe
Acrobat Reader. You can download it free here.
To purchase components, add blue quantities to corresponding "Add" fields below.
- Use a tubular peyote stitch and various sizes and colors of the Seed Bead Cocktails™, to create a woven cover around
two glass bead spikes.
- Cut and condition a 36-42" piece of size D thread and string on the spike bead. Add 11-12 size 11 seed beads, and
thread the cord back though the hole in the spike. Add 11-12 more size 11 beads and pass the cord through the hole in the
spike again. Each grouping of seed beads should be on each side of the spike bead. Pass the thread through all the seed
beads once or twice.
- Weave 5-7 rows of tubular peyote with size additional size 11 beads, Extend the cover beyond the flat end of the spike
with 4 rows of size 8 round and hex beads.
- Weave a row of “Translucent-Purple Fumed” size 11 beads adding two size 11 beads between each size 8 bead. This color
closely matches the “Magic Lilac” color of the spike bead.
- Add one last row of size 11 beads.
- Repeat for the second spike, finishing it with the purple row. Add row of size 8 hex beads to weave two segments
together and embellish with size 6 beads.
- If desired, further embellish by weaving other beads on top.
- Add a jump ring opposite sides of the finished piece. Attach the jump ring through the hole of a size 8 bead, and add a
long piece of chain to each jump ring.
- More info on tubular peyote stitch with spike beads, check out Beading Daily ® September 26, 2012 Psyched for Spikes blog post.
TIME SAVER: To add several items to your cart at once, type in all blue quantities, then click "Add to Cart"
near bottom of page.
- 1 dozen [use 2] #23-119-794 Bead, Glass, Spike, 18x12mm
- 1 spool [use 30"] #40-099-13-6 Chain, Footage, Cable, 2.1mm
- 1 vial [use 44] #20-228-328 Glass, TOHO Seed Bead, size 11/0, Translucent,
- 1 oz [use 2] #37-100-6 Jump Ring, Round, Assorted Sizes
- 1 pkg of 50 grams [use 200-240] #20-002-3227 Seed Bead Cocktails™ from
- 1 tube [use light copper color] #61-719-01 Super-Lon, D, Earth Mix
- #65-000-10 Beading Needle, Size 10
- #69-023 Thread Heaven Thread Conditioner and Protectant®
- #69-271-99 Tool, Glitter, Four-Piece Set
- #69-043 Tool, Scissors, Extra-Large Loop